Saturday, July 25, 2015

Migraine 101

Hi all!
A headache or migraine is a common symptom that comes along with many chronic illnesses, and it is possibly one of the most painful and annoying symptoms. Also, it seems like headaches/migraines are the hardest darn things to get rid of!! I have several illnesses that cause migraine, and it has been very hard to get a doctor to listen and diagnose these headaches.
I got diagnosed with POTS, and my first neurologist told me that all my headache/migraine symptoms are caused by this. Then, he tried Botox which he KNEW would work. Guess what? It didn't. Then he said "ok well you have chronic migraines". If you know me, you also know this answer wasn't good enough. I got diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos soon after, and I was told that could also cause headaches... Well, now we are looking into Craniocervical Instability as a result of EDS, then could explain the headaches also. On top of all this, I have been told I might have Chiari Malformation, another probable cause for the headaches! And the worst thing? They're all treated differently. It sort of leaves me with this stupid constant headache, and nothing to do to relieve it. Well, over the past few years, since a doctor won't even attempt to relieve the pain, I've come up with a few ways to help, and I have compiled them in a nice little list for you all! 
1.) Heating pads are your friend. I have found that a heating pad set on low heat across my head for 20 minutes at a time can help lessen the pain drastically.

2.) Ice pack are your friend too. An ice pack across my forehead for 10 minutes at a time helps also! Try heat (see #1) then ice, alternating back and forth. 

3.) Lay flat on the floor, with your legs up the wall. This returns blood to the brain, thus relieving migraine symptoms for many people. 

4.) The Migraine Rescue Cocktail. Drink a Coca-Cola (not diet), take 3 Motrin, and take a Benadryl. I know you've probably heard this one, but it does help! 

5.) Take an Epsom salt bath with some lavendar and peppermint essential oils. I used to hate when people said "try this oil, it will cure blah blah blah." True, it won't "cure" you, but it really can lessen your headache pain. 

6.) Gently massage the temples and the space in between your thumb/forefinger. This is a pressure point exercise. It relieves some of the common symptoms of migraine: head pain, nausea, and vertigo. 

7.) Sit with an ice pack on the back of your neck, & put your feet in lukewarm water. This is like #1 and #2 on steroids, in case they didn't work for you. 

8.) Keep well hydrated. Dehydration can cause a load of symptoms, including migraine. Many people with chronic illnesses suffer from chronic dehydration, so it is important to always have a drink nearby when you're feeling bad! If you have electrolyte tablets such as Nuun, this would be even better. 

9.) Turn off ALL electronics and rest! You may be thinking "well duh", but many people still want to check snapchat, or post a selfie with a poked out pouty lip, saying "worst. migraine. ever" Well, maybe if you'd rest, you would feel some relief sooner. 

10.) If all this fails, which sometimes it will, and the ER is your only option: 
a.) Don't be tempted by the ER #hospitalglam selfie. (See #9). If a nurse or doctor sees you on your phone while complaining of a migraine, they will immediately jump to the conclusion that you are a "drug seeker", even though that's not true! 
b.) Ask for IV fluids (especially if you're a potsie!) instead of immediately asking for pain meds. They will jump to the same conclusions mentioned in step a. Plus, hydration is key (see #8). 
c.) Rate your pain accordingly. If your pain is much worse than normal, don't feel bad using an 8 or 9. But, if you go to the ER frequently for headaches/migraines, be sure not to go straight for a 10 out of 10 every time. Save your 10 for when you feel as if you're dying or if you're bleeding from some sort of orifice. 
d.) Don't let them treat you as if you're not in pain. If this happens, try and explain what illnesses you may have that cause migraines. Also, tell them what you've tried before coming to the ER. Lastly, try to be as specific as you can about the pain. (Where does it hurt? What kind of pain is it?) This can help the ER staff diagnose you properly if you don't know what's causing the pain, or to give you the proper pain relief. If you've tried all this, and the ER staff still isn't treating you properly, leave. You are better off resting at home in your own bed than sitting there arguing with a stubborn doctor/nurse who has no intent of helping you. 

I hope all this has helped you! If you have any questions, feel free to click that "add comment" button and ask away. Also, I'm on Instagram as @chronically.amazing if you would like to dm me any questions/comments!


FIGHT LIKE A SPOONIE!

xoxo,
Johna

1 comment:

  1. Very good advice. I have had migraines since I was in kindergarten, or earlier. I'm now... Let's say more than 45. I've never been able to figure out my triggers, except that it runs in my family. This blog is spot-on. Migraines are typically treated with a typical medical professional response like, "oh, let's just get this over, she doesn't belong here". I understand the typical migraine may not be life-threatening but I feel I shouldn't be dismissed and told "it's not a valid reason to go to ER. As you have said, Migraines can be a symptom of something more serious. You worded this blog well, and put my feelings into words for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete