Thursday, August 20, 2015

Let's Talk About IC

Hey everyone!
Long time no post. Sorry about that! I've been so busy with doctors appointments, school starting (senior year, whoop whoop), and many other things but I'm back! Anyway, this post is a serious one, and it's also a topic that's really important to me. 
Interstitial Cystitis. Interstitial Cystitis (also called IC or PBS) is a chronic condition in which you experience bladder pressure, bladder pain and sometimes pelvic pain, ranging from mild discomfort to severe pain. Symptoms of IC include:
  • Pain in your pelvis or between the vagina and anus in women or between the scrotum and anus in men (perineum).
  • Chronic pelvic pain.
  • A persistent, urgent need to urinate.
  • Frequent urination, often of small amounts, throughout the day and night. People with severe interstitial cystitis may urinate as often as 60 times a day.
  • Pain or discomfort while the bladder fills and relief after urinating.
  • Pain during sexual intercourse.

Many have not heard of IC, and that makes me quite sad. However, a truly amazing fighter (@rainbow_girl_x on Instagram) has started an awareness campaign for IC, which I am happily participating in. If you have time, and an Instagram, you should definitely check out her posts and help her out. 

(From @rainbow_girl_x Instagram)

Here's my personal experience with Interstitial Cystitis: (also on Instagram at @chronically.amazing) 
"All right guys, let's talk about Interstitial Cystitis (IC), or Bladder Pain Syndrome (BPS). I have this illness, but I rarely discuss it due to the "social conventions" that are broken by openly talking about bladder issues. I was diagnosed a year ago, my mom 8, and my grandmother some years before that. We all suffered in silence for so long, but it's time to speak out. @rainbow_girl_x's #rainbowICawarenesscampaign has finally given me the courage to talk about IC, and we all need to team up to bring awareness to this painful, incurable disease. This card pictured is a medical alert card that I, along with many others with IC, carry in order to gain restroom access. If you have IC (or if you just want to help raise awareness) feel free to screenshot this picture and repost! I would like for as many people to see this card, so that someone who really needs it can see this. Thank you all so much for all the support, and for helping give me the courage to share this. Also, check out @rainbow_girl_x's page for more awareness posts on this topic! There are prizes and shout outs available for some posts during IC awareness month. For details check out @rainbow_girl_x'd page! Fight like a girl! #IC #ICawareness #InterstitialCystitis #PBS 💖"  

Here's the card I was referring to in my post: 

If you have IC, and would like to share your story please email me at johnawright98@gmail.com. I would love to publish it here as well as on Instagram. Also, if you have any questions, you can email me, dm me on Instagram, or leave a comment here. I'll be sure to get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you all so much for the endless support! 


FIGHT LIKE A SPOONIE!

xoxo,
Johna

No comments:

Post a Comment